Amorphophallus Kerii??

Aroider Christopher Size asked privately yesterday about an interesting Amorphophallus for sale on eBay being sold under the name "Amorphophallus Kerii".  The seller had insisted to Christopher in a private response the plant really is rare.

I am often dubious of any plant sold on eBay as RARE since few are rare at all.  One thing that always grabs my attention is when a seller all but screams "rare" but then offers the plant at a low price.  Have any of you ever bought anything that is truly rare at a bargain basement price?

I checked all the databases and couldn't find the name "Amorphophallus Kerii".   The first tip is the second name being capitalized since that isn't done in science.  So I asked Dr. Wilbert Hetterscheid in the Netherlands who often responds here on Aroid l about the plant.  Wilbert is the expert in the genus.  He responded the plant is obviously
Amorphophallus asterostigmatus.  As far as I can learn the species isn't all that rare but not terribly common either.  He also said the name Amorphophallus kerrii (two r's) is a synonym for Amorphophallus yunnanensis Engl. so the seller has it wrong a couple of times although I'm pretty sure there was zero intent to mislead in any way.

My point?  If anyone is trying to get you to buy a plant based on the claim it is rare...........CHECK IT OUT!  There is one great source to learn about plants and their names and that one is found here:  http://aroid.org/genera/speciespage.php?genus=amorphophallus&species=asterostigmatus

and here:

Now, if you like the plant and it is worth the asking price to add it to your collection certainly go ahead and buy it.  I do it all the time!

fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list