Re: Plants and emails

  • Subject: Re: Plants and emails
  • From: "Russell Coker" <cokerra@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:18:37 -0500

Hi Jude.
I can only speak for myself, but my interest in aroids is limited to Amorphophallus and Arisaemas - and there is another site that discusses Arisaemas only so there really isn't anything here concerning them.  I'm in zn 8b and I don't have a greenhouse so winter storage is an issue.  Except for tropical Arisaemas, if I can't grow it in the ground here it ends up being a lot of trouble that I'd rather not have to deal with.  For some reason I don't have much luck with these plants in pots for very long.
Incidentally, a few years ago I ended up with some Am coaetaneus tubers by accident that I was hauling in and out of a friend's greenhouse every year.  Last summer I decided to plant them in the ground and let them fend for themselves.  They both died down in the fall but came back this spring after a really cold, wet winter and bloomed for the first time.  I put all of this in a post here back in the spring to see if anyone else had had similar experiences with unexpected hardiness of any Amorphophallus species they could share but got ZERO replies.  Oh well.
As for selling/trading, I listed one of the coaetaneus and 2 Arisaema balansae on ebay yesterday.  One of the balansae is left.