Re: Pinellia from seeds

  • Subject: Re: Pinellia from seeds
  • From: Don Martinson <llmen@wi.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 16:08:22 -0500

Title: Re: [Aroid-l] Pinellia from seeds
I can only speak to the habits of Pinellia pedatisecta, which is on the verge of taking over parts of my garden.  Even up here is southern Wisconsin, it has no problem with simply scattering its own seeds which readily germinate the next spring with absolutely no help from me.  And I swear that the germination rate must be in the high 90’s from the amount of seedlings I end up with.  The leaves are attractive, but the inflorescence and infructescence are pretty unremarkable.

This would suggest that at least for this species, the removal of the flesh berry (not very large, I might add) is not necessary for future germination.

Don Martinson
Veni, vidi, plantatio emi.