Re: Pinellia from seeds

  • Subject: Re: Pinellia from seeds
  • From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:49:45 -0500

Hiyer, Ken!

Sigh. I wish I could go. It has been about four years for me as well . . . and I miss the plants and the camaraderie. Aroid people are the best! Plus I learn so very much and buy too many plants. But my personal travel budget is pretty tapped out. For work this year I was in Australia and Costa Rica.

Your Pinellia sound really happy. I moved from California to Kansas three years ago and the Pinellia pedatisecta and the P. tripartita took it in stride. My P. cordata and P. ternata came up the first summer and never were seen again. I need to try that one again some time.

I have never had them as pests, though I know some who have. I just bury my outdoor aroids in a foot or so of leaf litter each autumn, and they seem to pop up just fine when the snows abate. This has worked for those two Pinella, Helicodiceros, Dracunculus, and most Arisaemas and Arums. My Arisaema ringens, Arum hygrophilum, and Arisarum simmorrhinum did not survive, along with the P. cordata and ternata.

Strangely, my Typhonium gigantea did fine the first summer, even bloomed, then vanished the next two summers. I thought it was gone, and then it came up this past fortnight with large leaves, happy as can be, as if no years were skipped. Go figure!

Happy days!