Re: Pinellia from seeds

  • Subject: Re: Pinellia from seeds
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 03:27:05 -0400

Hi Chris, I don't find them to be pesty at all!  They're scattering themselves around fairly nicely but I need to relocate those patches because they're in an inconvenient location in my big garden.  Also, the P. tripartita that seeded itself in the floor of my greenhouse under one of the benches is on my chore list to move outdoors in the spring.  In the meantime I thought I'd collect a bunch of this year's infuctuscenses and sow the seed in the new locations.

My P. pedatisecta is growing in full sun in normal garden loam. It seems happy enough.  The P. tripartita is growing in the sandy/rocky/gravelly floor of the greenhouse. No organic matter at all but since they're under one of the benches they get a lot of fertilizer.

I have a very small clump of P. cordata in the shade garden. This is only their second season with me so I expect them to be much more vigorous next year.

Are you going to the IAS show this year?  I want to go since I haven't been down in about 4 years but I'm not sure if I can work it out or not.

-Ken