Re: Aroid Plantmen

  • Subject: Re: Aroid Plantmen
  • From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:26:37 -0700

Thank you Derek,

The Newsletter is exactly where I was trying to direct that kind of information.

Over 35 years ago, I propagated Aroids for Bob Cole and Bill Cook's Botanical Gardens Plant Shop in Reseda, California.  I recall that they mentioned Ed Hummel, but they always referred to him as "Mr. Hummel."  Like so many, I can't remember what I knew about him.

I was of the opinion that Anderson's red was from Anderson's Nursery in the San Diego area, possibly Carlsbad.  I do recall visiting that nursery around 40 years ago and meeting his son, I believe his name was Rod.  It is quite possible that Mr. Hummel named it.

I am of the opinion that one of the Bobs, Wilson or McColley, went to Costa Rica and built a rare plant nursery or area there.

David Leedy