Re: Aroid Plantmen (Susan B)

  • Subject: Re: Aroid Plantmen (Susan B)
  • From: George Yao <geoyao@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 20:03:10 +0800

Alan Galloway comes to mind for his yearly field trip to explore for tuberous aroids in Southeast Asia.

George Yao

On Aug 30, 2014, at 6:02 AM, Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat@mobot.org> wrote:

Amen to that statement!

We must include Lynn Hannon in this group. Though involved with Araceae only a few years she developed one of the very best collections of aroids and she knew them well, made notes, photos and even carried out an intensive study of Chlorospatha upon my encouragement. Both Mary Sizemore and Betsy Feuerstein, in addition to being excellent growers are also real explorers, especially Betsy in Ecuador. We must not forget the late Murline Lydon who had a exquisite collection of aroids. Petra Schmidt who worked for me for me for 16 years and later for Tony Avent was an excellent grower and knows Araceae as well as anyone. There are many other female growers, especially in Florida including Marie Nock and the late Tricia Frank who was not only a great grower but probably did more than any other single person to promote and make the International Aroid Society function. Better Waterbury was another impressive grower and had an incredible collection. She too played an important role i
n the IAS as a founding member and in her role as the first and succeeding President of the IAS. Marilyn Johnson, a neighbor of Bette, had perhaps the most impressive private collections in the world until her house burned down. Genevieve Ferry in Nancy has taken many field trips to the tropics (French Guiana, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador and Colombia) and is one of the finest aroid growers in Europe. She was also instrumental in organizing the IX International Aroid Conference. Frieda Billiet from Brussels also built up and maintained an excellent collection in in Miege, Belgium. Kathy King at Kew holds the same role at Kew Gardens and our own Emily Colletti here at the Missouri Botanical Garden has been responsible for growing well our massive collection for a total of several decades. Certainly there are others that I have forgotten