Re: Amorphophallus is Turning Brown

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus is Turning Brown
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 10:01:31 -0400

Travis, after visiting your post on gardenweb I see that you have identified the plant correctly *and* that you have identified the possible disease as love bites from your geese. You got the plant for a good price; congratulations on that! Âstevelau1911Âposted photos of his A. konjacs and some other species and thought your A. paeoniifolius looked chlorotic. His observation is incorrect, your paeoniifolius is well within the common coloration for that plant. Just give it plenty of fertilizer with trace minerals and you should be fine. Â

One note on the fertilizer, I usually use one with a lower value for nitrogen. They only grow one leaf (usually) and it can only get so big, so high nitrogen levels are unnecessary. The goal is for your tuber to be bigger at the end of the season than it was at the beginning. If my fellow aroid-l members disagree on the fertilizer recommendation please correct me.

-Ken