Sauromatum venosum 'Indian Giant' or maybe not?

  • Subject: Sauromatum venosum 'Indian Giant' or maybe not?
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 10:09:26 -0400

I'm currently the beneficiary of a Sauromatum venosum 'Indian Giant' that is producing its third full-sized leaf from the primary growth point. I'm not sure why it's so happy, but I'm happy that it's happy! As I recall the corm was approx ping-pong ball sized (or slightly larger) when I planted it so I can't wait to see how big it is when I dig it in the fall. This one's planted in the ground and I gave it a Âhealthy dose of time-release fertilizer when I planted it. Â

If anyone has an opinion on this --> I bought two this year as 'Indian Giant' because I had lost mine a few years ago. The plants that popped up are certainly large enough to be 'IG' with the leaf over knee-high in full sun from a tuber of modest size. What doesn't mesh with my memory of my former plants is the petiole speckling. My 'IG' in the past had noticeably fewer spots than the regular species. These two plants' petioles aren't significantly different from the straight species. Also, even though the leaf is tall and large the leaflets don't have the particular shape that I recall from my former 'IG'.

Is there much variation in the 'IG' form? Is that form likely a single clone (and thus no variation)? If I had any sense at all I'd have a photo attached... Add that to the list of items I need to take care of after work today.

-Ken