Re: going dormant...

Kevin,

My experience with Amorphophallus is limited, but generally with any
plant I always ask myself what would normally happen under natural
conditions with any particular plant. In the case of Amorphophallus, the
entire leaf keels over, becomes somewhat slimy, and eventually dries up.
Usually at this point I will tug ever so slightly at the dried petiole to
see if it is loose.  If it is not free I will leave it alone.

Granted, having dried up petioles hanging from pots is not pretty, but my
feeling is that the time to remove the old growth is when the tuber is
willing to part with it. At this time it is reasonable to assume that the
tuber has sealed the opening and is capable of protecting itself from
disease and other intrusions.

Don