going dormant...

Hi all!
	Every time I have an Amorphophallus enter its dormancy stage I leave =
the leaf alone until it completely abscisses, with the belief that I may =
adversely affect the plant should I cut it off. This often leaves a big =
mass of leaf hanging off the side of the bench because the stem has =
collapsed half-way up. My question is...how far into dormancy do bulbous =
aroids drain any remaining sugars from the leaf and stem? Would any harm =
come from topping a plant before it drops off completely by itself?