Re: gigantic leaf species around the world

     Dear Krzysztof,

     I have had a look at your interesting Alocasia images:

     A. crassifolia is correctly Alocasia alba (crassifolia is a synonym),
     originating in Java.

     A. `californica' is A. brisbanensis, native to Eastern Australia

     A. quilted dreams appears to be an undescribed species.

     A. green velvet appears to be A. micholitziana, which in the wild is
     quite a variable species - so several forms of it have got into
     cultivation (Philippines)

     A. Borneo Giant appears to be A. longiloba `korthalsii'.

     A. black velvet is an undescribed species. Have you got any more
     flowers that could be preserved in alcohol, so that this species can
     be properly described and named??

     Your A. macrorrhiza appears to be A. odora - the leaves are pelate in
     odora, not in macrorrhizos (another very variable species of which
     several forms are cultivated)

     Alocasia ?Elaine matches Alocasia sinuata (originally described from
     the Philippines, but actually Bornean).

     Alocasia ?cuprea relative seems to be Alocasia clypeolata (an new
     species shortly to be published) (Philippines) ?= Green Shield?

     Alocasia wentii = Alocasia x sedenii (true wentii is not cultivated
     anywhere as far as I know - it is a small, obscure species from remote
     mountains of New Guinea)

     `Really pretty Alocasia' looks like a non-peltate form of A. reversa
     (Sarawak)

     All best

     Alistair Hay