Subject: Re: gigantic leaf species around the world
Author:  <> at mailgate
Date:    8/14/98 3:22 PM

I checked Attenborough's book of "The Private Life of Plants" to see if
there was any more information, but nothing substantive.
On page 47, "The biggest undivided leaf of all belongs to a giant edible
aroid that grows in marshy parts of the tropical rain forest in Borneo.
One of its heart-shaped leaves may be ten feet across and have a surface
area of over thiry square feet."
There is a picture on the same page, of large leaves of the general shape
and upright appearance of Alocasia macrorrhizos, with no identification.
The proportions he mentions certainly match closely those Dr. Hay cited
for A. robusta.
-- Steve Marak