Re: Source of A. Titanum

Hallo all,

the story of Armorphophallus sounds indeed very interesting. Onyl a
small rectification to the tissue culture of A. titanum at the
"Palmengarten" in Frankfurt, Germany.

> (...)
> At one time in my life, I was the editor of the Newsletter of the
> International Aroid Society and received a very interesting letter with
> photographs from a scientist at the Palmgarten in Frankfurt.  He reported
> success in tissue culture of A. titanum.  I believe that this was a few
> years before the seeds from Jim Simon.  I reported this in an issue of the
> Newsletter.

The tissue culture was successfully done at the Botanical Garden of
Frankfurt University (Johann-Wolfgang-Goethe Universitšt). The
received cormlets (until now some 50 +) were later passed on to
various universities and the Palmengarten as well, where at least two
of the (in the meantime) adult plants had flowered more than 5 times
by now.
At least in Germany a flowering A. titanum is not such an unusual
event anymore, as there are being grown various adult plants at a
couple of univeristies and research institutions. The last specimen
came to flower just about a month ago in the Palmengarten, and most
likely the next one will be at my home university (University of Mainz).

Cheers,

BjÝrn Malkmus
http://www.malkmus.de