Re: Colocasia care

> In the spring I bought a colocasia esculenta "Fontanesii", my first ever
> aroid.  The plant seems rather uncommon in the UK, but with the hot summer
> up till August, it's grown very well in a pot outside and has put out many
> 'runners'.  These are shoots coming from the base, and radiating out just
> above surface level.  What should I do with these runners?  They don't seem
> particularly keen to bury themselves - should I cover them up?  I'm assuming
> that they're linked to vegetative reproduction, and I'd certainly like to
> have a few more plants.
>
> Any advice gratefully received, thankyou.

Iain,

The long runners will soon swell at the ends into new 'bulbs'.
Cover or bury these a little and they will form their own roots and
shoot. You can then cut them from the parent plant to repot or move
or just let them form a very handsome large clump as they do here in
zone 9 Melbourne.
Keep them moist and fertilized when in active growth, they love it .

cheers,
              Rob.

Rob.McClure
Biological Sciences