Titan Watch at Fairchild

IT'S BIG, IT'S BAD, AND IT'S BACK...

The Amorphophallus titanum about to bloom at Fairchild Tropical Garden has
reached 48.25" in height. It has been averaging about 3 inches of growth per
day, but last night it grew 5 inchs, and still looks like a very young bud. The
bracts haven't yet fallen from around the emerging inflorescence. I am in the
process of assembling the display now, it will open to the press tomorrow
(25th) and to the public Thursday the 26th.

Also in bloom is our third Amorphophallus gigas. It started to release it's
foul odor on Sunday 22nd. Some compared it to a long dead possum marinated in
fresh chicken manure. It will be added to the titanum display where is
fragrance will delight our audience for the rest of this week.

At this time it is still expect to bloom the first week in September. Stay tuned.
===
Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager 'Windows to the Tropics'
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida 33156
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320   FAX 305-661-8953
email: cm_allen@yahoo.com
Web site: http://www.ftg.org