Titan Watch at Fairchild Garden, 8/29/99

Titan watch: 69.50"
Amorphophallus titanum 931146A
The inflorescence looks fuller with the ruffle at the top of the spathe a
little looser. The Deep red color is more pronounced, showing through the leaf
tissue at the over lap quite a bit. The growth has slowed down from 5 inches to
2.75 last night. If it follows the pattern set last year the growth will slow
to a stop and bloom a few days later. I am getting that FEELING that last year
made me show up at work in the middle of the night to be sure I didn't miss
anything. I'm sure it isn't ready to open yet. The other horticulture people
that have grown these agreed that their plants stopped growth before blooming.
Keep a watch on the FTG web page, and hopefully the local news as the fragrant
event gets closer. The update will be on the site as quickly as we know.

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager 'Windows to the Tropics'
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida 33156
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320   FAX 305-661-8953
email: cm_allen@yahoo.com
Web site: http://www.ftg.org
Do You Yahoo!?