Re: Help - premature Amorphophallus dormancy!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Help - premature Amorphophallus dormancy!
  • From: Walter Greenwood <walterg@nauticom.net>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 18:43:50 -0600 (CST)

> Subject: Re: Help - premature Amorphophallus dormancy!
> From: mburack@mindspring.com
>
> I am confused.....the subject line says "premature dormancy"...it is almost December.....what makes this premature?

Under normal circumstances the foliage withers and detaches from the tuber as the plant's internal metabolism reacts to
changes in temperature, photoperiod, and passage of time.  This is what I would regard as normal dormancy.  This fall
we had an unusually rapid drop in temperature here, and my plants were suddenly frozen down while they were still in
active growth.

- WG