Re: Amorphophallus 2nd flowering

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus 2nd flowering
  • From: "van den Bergh" <bergh@tpg.com.au>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:35:01 -0600 (CST)

Dear Wilbert,
As much as I would like to I cannot claim any credit for the size of the
tuber. When I frst admired the leaf in someone's garden, I didn't know an
aroid from a potato, they generously gave me a tuber, so I stuck it in a
sunny spot in front of my verandah, where incidentally ir received mostly
only water from the monsoon rains. It is only during this past year I have
become an aroid nut and realising what a gem I had, dug up the tuber for a
peek to see what it looked like, but it was already that size before I dug
the soil over and put in some compost, fertilizer and TLC a few months ago!
When is the best time to dig up a tuber to see if it has formed any
offshoots or loose tubers, at the beginning of dormancy or towards the end
of the dormancy period?

Dear Don,
Yes the flower was big too compared to this second flower, it was pure white
with that beautiful burgundy centre down in the spathe, and the SMELL was
big too compared to this second flower. There were flies hanging around but
it seemed it was the native bees [maybe you call them sweat bees] right down
after the pollen.

Marilyn van den Bergh.