Re: Amorphophallus query

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus query
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:20:02 -0600 (CST)

If the Sauromatoid "amorphs" indeed have a leaf as you describe, they cannot
be amorphs. As a general rule, each branch of an amorph-leaf carries 2 or
more individual leaflets, and they are found to be attached at both lateral
sides of each branch. In Sauromatum (does that genus still exist???) and
Arisaema you'll find that all leaflets point to one side and are attached to
one side. This is more difficult to see on a more radiate (wheel-like) leaf,
but again, you'll not find any subdivisions of the leaf-branches (if you can
detect them...) there either, as you will in most amorphs.

Better thgan try to unravel all that mumbo-jumbo I just wrote is to send me
an email with a few scans to: hetter@worldonline.nl).