Re: Philodendron selloum

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron selloum
  • From: Iza & Carol Goroff <goroff@idcnet.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:10:26 -0600 (CST)

I can't answer any of Petra's questions, but the mention of the plant gives me
an opportunity to tell of my oldest aroid. I acquired my plant around 1971. It
has lived in five different places since, the current location its first
greenhouse. It has a stem 20" (50 cm) tall and eleven leaves, each leaf blade
about 26" (65 cm) long. Its stem would be much longer except for rotting in the
middle on two previous occasions. Although that mecessitated repotting, there
was no slowdown in growth since most of its functioning roots were from above
the rotted section, many of them circling its pot on the floor. It has bloomed
on a few occasions, though not recently. It lives in a 20 gallon terra cotta
pot with the bulk of its roots on the greenhouse tile floor.

Iza Goroff
Whitewater Wisconsin USA zone 4b - no chance of any Philodendron surviving
winter outside here.