Re: Rot Prevention

  • Subject: Re: Rot Prevention
  • From: magrysbo@shu.edu
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:50:07 -0600 (CST)

It was a 1% solution on only several tubers, mostly Arisaema, that had been
dug up for storage, and were rotting out despite application of other
compounds. These tubers have no live roots during dormancy and survive kept
absolutely dry.
Bonaventure

                    Denis
                    <denis@skg.com       To:     Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
                    >                    cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: Rot Prevention
                    aroid-l@mobot.
                    org

                    12/11/2001
                    04:15 PM
                    Please respond
                    to aroid-l

The great thing about hydrogen peroxide is that is a good topical
disinfectant and it is applied, does its thing instantaneously and then
breaks down in the process into water and oxygen. No obnoxious organic
molecules to pollute the environment (or if you are a nurseryman poison
your workers). As far as treating Amorphophalli tubers with it, it is
non specific in its action and will take out the good microflora as well
as the pathogenic organism. It would be ok if you suspect rot problems
are happening or going to happen. However, I would not want to start
wipe out the equilibrium that exists in the Amorphophallus root zone
around the rhizome. If you are going to all the trouble of dipping the
pots in the stuff you might as well just bare root them and store them
in an inert material that does not support rotting. But then again I
don't do much with Amorphophalli and so what do I know.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens
Homestead Florida

mburack@mindspring.com wrote:

> I know I am going to get smacked for this, but.... regardless, why would
this be "better" than using one of the MANY fungicide products on the
market? Cost?

> As far as I know, Hydrogen peroxide has great "disenfectant properties"
but I dont know if you would find it to be a broad spectrum fungicide.