Re: Philodendron selloum

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron selloum
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:52:30 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: Iza & Carol Goroff <goroff@idcnet.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 3:10 PM

Dear Iza,

Thanks for the story of this old plant!
here in Florida, this species grows QUICKLY to a gigantic size, and under
the right conditions, planted in good soil next to a palm tree, can be seen
with an erect rhizome standing against the palm tree trunk, which it
'embraces' with it`s cable-like roots, to a height of over 15 ft., and a
leaf spread of 7-8 ft.  If it does not have a tree trunk to support it`s
upward growth, it seems 'happy' to grow along the ground, it`s 'head' held
vertically, thill the rhizome can be 10 or many more feet long, and about 8"
in dia.  It can get this large in 10 -15 years.

Good growing!

>>I can't answer any of Petra's questions, but the mention of the plant
gives me
an opportunity to tell of my oldest aroid. I acquired my plant around 1971.
has lived in five different places since, the current location its first
greenhouse. It has a stem 20" (50 cm) tall and eleven leaves, each leaf
about 26" (65 cm) long. Its stem would be much longer except for rotting in
middle on two previous occasions. Although that mecessitated repotting,
was no slowdown in growth since most of its functioning roots were from
the rotted section, many of them circling its pot on the floor. It has
on a few occasions, though not recently. It lives in a 20 gallon terra cotta
pot with the bulk of its roots on the greenhouse tile floor.

Iza Goroff
Whitewater Wisconsin USA zone 4b - no chance of any Philodendron surviving
winter outside here.