Re: Philodendron selloum (non-aroid temperate alternatives)

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron selloum (non-aroid temperate alternatives)
  • From: Dean Sliger <deanslgr@juno.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:18:19 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:44:53 -0600 (CST) StellrJ@aol.com writes:
> But isn't Gunnera also tropical?  Those others should work, though;
> Petasites is native along the US Pacific Coast, Rheum (i.e.,
> rhubarb) is from the Himalayas.

Without looking it up, I think subtropical would be more correct for
Gunnera.  They're more from higher altitude regions rather than the
lowland tropics.  The miniature Gunnera magellanica is winter-hardy here
in Zone 6B (Detroit area) without protection.  The larger species are
winter-hardy in this area with protection (though not in my
space-prohibitive yard!).  With the miniature species, at least,
protecting it from winter desiccation is a major factor in survival.
I've noticed with many species winter-hardiness is a matter of soil
moisture -- too much or too little, depending on the species -- rather
than temperature.

Dean Sliger
Warren, MI, USA
Zone 6B