Re: Philodendron selloum

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron selloum
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:31:58 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: Clarence Hammer <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 12:26 AM

Dear Russ,

I`m sure all of the 'forms' that you remember and mention below are still in
cultivation, but I`d GUESS that with the publication of Dr. Mayo`s paper
which synonomised many into one (P. bipinnatafidium) that the growers just
'dropped' labeling them, and all have 'fallen' into just one or two names,
either P. 'selloum' (the commercial name under which they are sold in bulk)
or P. bipinnatifidium, the name that us 'scientifically minded' guys tend to
use.   A few old-timers like my friend Jim still remember the old forms, and
take pains to point them out when you visit!!
As Brian mentions, seed of some of these old forms are available from Dr.
Seidel in Brazil, I would not mind going in on an order and seeing what we
can grow out of them!

Good growing,

>>Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion.  Very
interesting, and enlightening.  I did not
know that selloum/bipinnatifidum were considered the same in any circles,
but being 'at large' for my entire
'Aroid life', information has always been hard to come by.

Does the selloum variety 'Uruguay' still exist somewhere?  My old Exotica
references a 'German Selloum'
from German seed considered a more graceful form, finely cut and wavy leaf

What about bipinnatifidum 'Seaside'?   or lundii 'Sao Paulo'?  Still in

Petra, where in zone 7B are you with the winter hardy selloum?  Are you
protecting in any way?