Re: Philodendron selloum

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron selloum
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdel.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:32:17 -0600 (CST)

	The plant of P. selloum to which Petra alludes is one that I planted
nearly 15 years ago when I worked at the NC State Fairgrounds in Raleigh
NC.  Someone had left the plant after a weekend flea market, so we planted
it in our "tropical garden" there, as an after thought.  The first year, we
mulched it lightly and was surprised when it returned.  Since it was large
next year, we left it unmulched and have done so ever since.  It has been
through at least four winters of zero degrees F.

	After I left eight years ago, the plant has been virtually unattended and
almost shaded out, but it is still alive.  Since this time, I have tried a
couple of locally purchased P. selloum plants, but have had none to survive
our winters. I can only imagine that high elevation forms might be quite
reliable in zone 7b.

>Petra, where in zone 7B are you with the winter hardy selloum?  Are you
>protecting in any way?
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden