Re: Philodendron selloum

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron selloum
  • From: Arno King <arnoking@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:06:33 -0600 (CST)

Some 10 years ago I visited the Seidel Nursery in
Corupa, Brazil. Behind the shadehouses, the large
arborescent Philodendrons are grown in what I remember
to be a large paddock area.

There were many plants in this area and there were a
lot of different species or forms collected from all
around Brazil. Some were very different to anything I
had ever seen before.The plants were very large and I
was told how they were hand pollinated to set seed. I
suspect that there would also be some natural cross
pollination ocuuring between plants.

I have seen quite a bit of variation in seedlings
grown from this seed. I was also told that the
Phildendron marketed as 'Xanadu'(also known as
'Winterborn') came up in this seed in a nursery in
Perth, Western Australia. A similar plant recently
came up in seed grown in a nursery in Wynnum,
Brisbane.

This plant is being marketed as 'Millenium, however it
has not proved popular. Although almost identical to
'Xanadu'the leaves are not as regularly placed, so the
plant appears untidy. It would be great to cross
polinate thes two plants and see what the progeny turn
out like. This may also help track down the true
identity of these plants.

Arno King, Brisbane Australia

--- brian williams <pugturd50@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Julius and others. I thought it maybe
> interesting to know that ALVIM
> SEIDEL the nursery in Brazil. Has Philo selloum
> seeds for sell. Not only one
> form but all these forms.
> selloum 9.00
> selloum var compactum 20.00
> selloum var Sao Paulo 12.00
> Selloum var Urugay 12.00
>

> also
> bipinnatifidum 8.00
>
> As from reading other e-mails it would be nice to
> see what a lot of the
> seedlings would come out to look like.

> http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

=====