RE: "Arum trilobatum"???

  • Subject: RE: "Arum trilobatum"???
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:57:34 -0600 (CST)

Dear Ellen,

What was that about erect? Somehow, based on an incident in the past, I
wouldn't have figured that you would ever use that word..................

Now to the matter in....errrr, at hand.....

The name Arum trilobatum of Linnaeus, if CORRECTLY applied should refer to
Typhonium trilobatum BUT in the days when the plate was prepared that you
have bought, such correctness was not the case. The name was idly misused
for the plant we now know as Typhonium roxburghii, a pan-Asian weed and
hence can be found on Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and Amboina (an island of the
Moluccas). The name "Arisaeum amboynicum" daets back to the Dutch botanist
Rumphius who used this name in 1747 and also refers to Typhonium roxburghii.

All this and more in: Nicolson, D.H. & M. Sivadasan, 1981. Four frequently
confused species of Typhonium Schott (Araceae). Blumea 27: 483 - 497.