Re: Philodendrum DNA

  • Subject: Re: Philodendrum DNA
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:57:23 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: zonneveld <zonneveld@rulbim.leidenuniv.nl>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 11:08 AM
Subject: Philodendrum DNA

Whoever  does collect and send material for testing, TRY to take a guide
from Eduardo`s letter to us of 12/14, you must try to get material not just
from two slight variations of the species P. bipinnatifidum, but perhaps of
two of the 'good' species that in the past have been considered the same.
Eduardo points out a good feature of at least one seemingly good species
that was 'buried' in P. bipinn., this is P. mello-barretoanum, its rhizome
will have the 'spines' developed to to the point of being thorns.   Another
is P. lundii.   Bear in mind that there were many variations in the leaf
divisions of P. bipinnatifidum in plants grown from seed, so please look for
OTHER differences, look and compare  the female flowers AND the rhizome, or
else Ben (below) may end up with just two or more variations of P.
bipinnatifidum that will test to be identical in their DNA.

Julius

>>I dont know if somebody did it already But.. I am willing to measure
the total amount of DNA of "both Philodendrum selloums" To see I
can find any difference just send me any fresh greenery or a root
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands