Re: Philodendrum DNA

  • Subject: Re: Philodendrum DNA
  • From: Durightmm@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:59:07 -0600 (CST)

Trying to identify any plant on line is tenuous and almost nonproductive given the high variabilities of all species.  No one so far has mentioned the selfheading characteristic of the ka P. selloum and ka P. bipinn.  In my case the ka P. bipinn climbs and is mono green with no distinctive leaf or petiole characters.   While the latter was ID'd by botanists there is no way of verifying it.  My point is how will anyone know who is P. selloum and who is not?   How can a dna be helpful when there is no base for determining a species. Would it not be like comparing apples and oranges?   J.