Re: [aroid-l] nasty neighbor

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] nasty neighbor
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 00:18:40 -0500

> From: LMassey628@aol.com
> I discovered yesterday that someone who lives on my street has sent
a letter
> of complaint to our local neighborhood association mentioning my
> plant", Amorphophallus paeonifolius.  Of course they don't like my
> gesneriads, orchids, bromeliads either, but this is the only plant
> specifically singled out.
> Do any members of the International Aroid Society have any comments
> this person ?
> Linda

My comment about this person is that they don't have enough to do
with their time and have some kind of definite mental problem.

But, if your neighborhood association is seriously thinking about
fining you $100/day unless you destroy your plants, based on one
letter from one person, then it seems to me you need to get a good
lawyer and start some legal proceedings of your own.

You, at least, need to investigate the basis upon which your
association is proposing to act and, perhaps, get some sympathetic
neighbors to write letters in your support to counter this one

Of course, I do not know what the covenants of your neighborhood
association are, but if they are that restrictive, they need to be
challenged by you and some like-minded neighbors.  It would seem to
me that more than one complaint by more than one neighbor over a
period of time would be needed to initiate this type of action on the
part of your association.

Personally, I wouldn't just sit there and let them do this without a
good fight:-)

I have not flowered any Amorphophallus, but it appears, from
research, that the flowers only emit scent for a very short period.
Unless you are trying to produce seed, perhaps you can agree (if
pushed into a corner) to remove the inflorescence before it opens.  I
wouldn't agree to that unless it was a last resort, tho'.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :