Re: [aroid-l] Some philo questions

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Some philo questions
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 06:58:44 EST

Hello David and All,

I am working towards getting a cultivar list for aroids at this time. The IAS
is still the official International Cultivar Regisration Authority (ICRA) for
aroids and I am the designated Registrar. I would gladly welcome input from
any of you knowledgeble aroiders who know the history of some of these
cultivars, or who have been instrumental in bringing them into cultivation. I
have been pretty quietly drawing up a vast list of cultivar names from
various genera and if you would like to know more about what I am doing
please reply to me privately.

Sometime very soon, the first of several tentative checklists will go up on
the IAS web site for comment. We will also publish some of these in the
newsletter for people without internet access. Eventually, after the
checklists are worked over to all our satisfaction, the IAS will publish a
register of aroid cultivars. This will be updated periodically. It will be
made available both online and via hard copy. We have not yet set a target
date for the first register but some of the checklists are scheduled to
appear this coming year online and in print. I am hoping that in another year
or two we will have a reigster worth publishing. The success of this project
all depends on how much help I can get.

While it is vital to register cultivars at the very beginning of their
introduction to horticulture, an essential first step of the registration
project is to produce lists of all known cultivar names (even bogus ones such
as the Monstera just mentioned). The hope is that confusion will be less if
the names are stabilized and not used more than once, so good checklists are
the basis upon which all registration can proceed. It is very tricky to
register a new cultivar name without knowing what names have already been
used. Eventually we will try to obtain some decent photos and other
documentation for existing cultivar names, but the first step is just to get
the checklists completed, so this is where I am needing the most help.
Naturally all documentation for new cultivars is most easily obtained right
at the beginning when the originator has the plants in hand. Trying to get
this information years down the road is problematic, but in some cases there
is important information out there that can be obtained with a great deal of
effort. Many numbers of aroid cultivars are horticulturally significant,
therefore we urgently need to put whatever effort we can into registration.

Based upon your comments, David, I would greatly welcome your assistance!

Donna Atwood