Re: [aroid-l] Help request for two aroids!

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Help request for two aroids!
  • From: Kiehlmann@gmx.de
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:32:57 +0100 (MET)

We handle all seeds of Amorphophallus and Anchomanes with good success
in the following manner. All seeds have sprouted , but sometimes only after
some months:

When the fruits are ripe and become soft, the pulp is completely removed
from
the seeds. The seeds are washed with water and then sown at a depth of about
0.5“ in pots filled with a mixture of ½ sand ½ soil and a layer of gravel at
the
bottom of the pot for drainage. The pots are placed in a normal room with a
slightly increased temperature of about 24° C = 75° F. ( In summer the
temperature may be higher corresponding to the outside temperature ) The
substrate is kept humid by watering when it seems to be necessary.

We had received an infructescence of Anch. dalzielii from Africa and also
fruits
from our own plants. In both cases the first seedlings came up after about
six
weeks under the described conditions. But we had to wait as many as 7 months
for the latest seedlings.

However, we have learnt to be patient with seeds and seedlings respectively.

Margret & Dietmar Kiehlmann