[aroid-l] refrigerating tubers

  • Subject: [aroid-l] refrigerating tubers
  • From: Lester Kallus lkallus@earthlink.net
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:25:01 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Last March, I came home from a trip to find that a konjac had sent an inflorescence up in my basement, the spike had shot through the space between the shelf system and was in the process of trying to open up.  Another tuber,fortunately, remained in hibernation until it was warm enough to put the plant outside.

There's no cool area of my house- the basement is heated.  Consequently, to keep Canna rhizomes and carnivorous plants alive over the winter, I've purchased a refrigerator for my basement.

Now the question is:  What would be the ideal temperature to keep the tubers in hiberation but not induce any temprature-related injury? I assume the Canna would do best around 45 degrees F (7 C).  Would that be OK for kojac?

One of the atroviridis is also trying very hard to send up a spike.  Would it survive in that same refrigerator or shall I give up and allow it to grow?