Re: [aroid-l] refrigerating tubers

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] refrigerating tubers
  • From: Don Martinson llmen@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:43:27 -0600

Last March, I came home from a trip to find that a konjac had sent an inflorescence up in my basement, the spike had shot through the space between the shelf system and was in the process of trying to open up.
Now the question is: What would be the ideal temperature to keep the tubers in hiberation but not induce any temprature-related injury? I assume the Canna would do best around 45 degrees F (7 C). Would that be OK for kojac?

Hi Les,
My konjac's do just fine in my basement with temps in the low 50's (F) and a friend of mine keeps his in a root cellar at even lower temps, probably closer to 45F. As long as they are kept away from any dampness, they should be fine. Don't know if this applies to any other species.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin