Re: [aroid-l] shipping corms and cold weather

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] shipping corms and cold weather
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" mmarcotr@email.smith.edu
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 08:39:30 -0500

Hi Ken: I never ship in winter. I don't see the point since the
'customer' must wait until dormancy breaks anyway. If you must I have
received plants on ebay with 'heatpacks' in them but I can't give you
advise on where to buy them. They are either these chemical heat
compounds that last a day or two or some other kind of heat retaining
materials. I can tell you that a few days at 30F can give you chilling
injury in konjac corms if not death.

_______________________________

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College
Lyman Conservatory, 15 College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
www.smith.edu/garden
www.science.smith.edu/~mmarcotr
"Art is the unceasing effort to compete with
     the beauty of flowers and never succeeding."
          Marc Chagall

>>> ken@spatulacity.com 12/08/03 11:08AM >>>
For those list members who either ship from a place with cold winters,
or if
you ship to cold locations, how do you handle shipping Amorphophallus
corms
in winter?

If I need to mail from CT to FL, it may be cold here in CT. And if I
mail
from CT to Colorado it may be cold on both ends (and who knows what
it's
like in the middle).

All mailing will be by Priority Mail, so time in transit should be no
more
than two days. Does the mail experience a lot of freezing conditions
enroute
to its destination?

Thanks in advance,
Ken Mosher in Connecticut