Re: [aroid-l] colorful leaves or spathe of some other inflorescence?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] colorful leaves or spathe of some other inflorescence?
  • From: Dan Levin levin@pixar.com
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:54:14 -0800

Les,

I agree with Alan.
From what I can tell from the image, those may in fact be "terminal"
leaves of the plant you're looking at  (Zant. 'Naomi Campbell').

Have observed that a few of the hybrid Zant's which I grow will throw
similarly colored leaves; imbued with the color(s) of the spathe, just
prior to or concurrent with spathe development (Zant. 'Dominique', e.g.)
Such leaves are often modified in shape compared with the typical
leaves- somewhere between a spathe and a leaf in form.  I'm no botanist,
but might there be such a thing as a "pseudo spathe"?
Perhaps their function is to aid in attracting pollinators; similar
to the modified leaves/ bracts in bougainvillea.
---

Hey, if you buy some, you might consider emulating Morticia Addams
from that old TV series "the Addams Family".  As I recall, she would
regularly behead all of the large, colorful rose blossoms from her freshly
cut bouquets in order to better show off the bare prickly canes-- which
were more to her liking!

Best regards,
 -Dan