[aroid-l] Growing wall question

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Growing wall question
  • From: RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:10:07 EST

I am getting ready to extend my greenhouse and want to add growing walls on
the sides.  I have installed these in my current greenhouse and they are filled
with long fiber spaghnum (I ended up using about 8 bales of the stuff which
was kind of expensive at 50 bucks a bale.  The walls in the extension will be
both longer and taller so I am scared to even think about how much I may spend
on that.  Is there a cheaper yet reliable substitute I can use for the new
walls?  I know several people use coco-fiber.  Is this less expensive than
Spaghnum and would it quickly degrade?  I have thought about buying large tree fern
plaques in bulk and gluing them to the walls, everntually the plants will
cover the seams, but is this a good idea?  I dont really like the idea of using
tree fern products to begin with!  Any ideas on what i should use or should I
bite the bullet and stick with spaghnum?
Thanks, Michael Mattlage