Re: [aroid-l] Growing wall question

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Growing wall question
  • From: "bamboochik" bamboochik@earthlink.net
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 05:49:30 -0600

I'm sure you would not be interested in this, but I use this combo with
many of my aroids and other plants that need a light airy mix.

1/3 packing peanuts
1/3 bunny-worm compost
1/3 pine bark chips

A few years ago I was trying to think of a way to make use of the packing
peanuts I seem to acquire in bulk here and around the same time I ran out
of the potting material I needed for some Anthuriums..Voila!  I never
looked back and have been more than pleased with the way my plants thrive
in this mix. Here are some of the plants I grow in it:

Anthuriums
Pothos
Philodendron
Orchids
Musa
Ensete
Caladium
Alocasia

I change the mix around for other plants such as the addition of sand and
pea gravel for succulents and cactus and you can use a good potting soil
mix or compost in place of the bunny-worm compost if you can't get it. I
raise my own rabbits and worms so it is free for me. ..b.f.n...deb/AL