[Aroid-l] Storing non-hardy (?) plants

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Storing non-hardy (?) plants
  • From: James Waddick <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:41:59 -0600

Title: Storing non-hardy (?) plants
I live in zone 6 equivalent in Europe. I have some tubers and seeds (some germinated last Summer some didn't yet) which are not hardy in my country e.g. Dracunculus vulgaris and some mediterranean Arum.

Dear Marek;
        I live in a more continental climate that is probably both hotter and colder than yours. Dracunculus is hardy for me and many Arum species do well outdoors except for a few like A. palestinum and A. pictum. Seedlings of Arum are as hardy as mature plants, but small Dracunculus do need some protection. Deep planting and mulch help.
        Arum are mostly up and growing now except for A. maculatum and a few others. Dracunculus will stay dormant until all snow melts and frosts are gone to emerge in early spring.
        All bloom and produce seed.
        It may be too late to plant them up now, but I recommend you consider it in spring.

        Jim W.
--
Dr. James W. Waddick
Near KCI Airport