RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron i.d.

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron i.d.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 01:00:19 +0000

&gt;From: MossyTrail@cs.com
&gt;Reply-To: Discussion of aroids &lt;aroid-l@gizmoworks.com&gt;
&gt;To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
&gt;Subject: [Aroid-l] Philodendron i.d.
&gt;Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 01:11:16 -0500

I`d suggest good photos of all stages/sizes of these plants and MOST important, good photos of fertile material, close-ups of blooms, one cut open to show details of the spadix. This should do.

In Hawaii, there are places where ornamental aroids are escaping into the wild. I showed pictures of some of these to Tom Croat and Peter Boyce at the symposium, and was able to get species identifications for most; however, the climbing Philodendron with entire, cordate leaves, I was told, could be a number of different species -- the picture was not enough. If I were to go back to the site again, what should I look for that could help make a species determination?
&gt;Jason Hernandez
&gt;Aroid-l mailing list