[Aroid-l] Re: An Opinion on CO2 Injection

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: An Opinion on CO2 Injection
  • From: LLmen llmen@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:34:32 -0600

I love getting emails from people who can actually think critically.
If my Dad weren't retired from Pfizer I'd ask him to bring home chunks of dry ice for me, surely the best way to introduce pure co2 into a small volume - of course I couldn't do the calculations to determine just how much I'd be adding!

-Ken Mosher

Here's the "easy" way to remember that relationship:

The molecular weight of the ANY gas (in this case, CO2), expressed in grams (in this case 12+16+16 = 44, the molecular weights of carbon and 2 oxygens, respectively) will ALWAYS occupy a space of 22.4 liters.

Thus, 44 grams of Dry Ice (solid CO2) will fill an area of 22.4 liters when in the gaseous state.

This relationship is true under conditions called Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP), which means 0 degrees Celsius and 1 atmosphere of pressure, but is close enough for you to calculate how much dry ice you would need to fill a specific volume.at room temperature (about 20 degrees C).

Science lesson over.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Aroid-l mailing list