RE: [Aroid-l] FW: help with identifying unknown medicinal Thai aroid?

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] FW: help with identifying unknown medicinal Thai aroid?
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 10:58:49 +0000

From : 	Wilbert Hetterscheid <hetter@xs4all.nl>
Sent : Saturday, December 3, 2005 3:43 PM
To : "'Discussion of aroids'" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Dear Friends,

First off, to the moderators of aroid-l, I suspect that for whatever reason some of the posting are not reaching my comp., as this from Wilbert is the only one on this subject to make it here!
Wilbert, thanks for the info.!
Emmet, could you ask your student what the Typhonium is used for in Thailand??? Your student or others studying the etho. uses of Typhonium sps. might be interested to learn that in S. India, Typhonium trilobatum is used as an antidote to snakebite. I obtained this info. from Dr. Shivadasan in India. In an artice published in an earlier Aroideana on new species of Aroid to Trinidad, W.I., my brother Hans and myself hypoth. that this plant was introduced to Trinidad, W.I. by the early indentured laborers from India (late 1800`s) or their 'employers' as a possible antidote to the snakebites which must have been fairly common back then while clearing jungle to plant. There are four deadly venomous snakes native to Trinidad, two large vipers (Lachesis and Bothrops) and two coral snakes.
The Best,

Julius Boos
WPB, FLORIDA.

Of course any aroider knows..........