[Aroid-l] commercial mixes- get real, learn how to grow!

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] commercial mixes- get real, learn how to grow!
  • From: "Derek Burch" derek@horticulturist.com
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:55:44 -0500

With all due respect to the companies and researchers who have done such valuable work, all that matters is that you learn how to water. If you get that wrong, you can blame the mixes, blame the weather, blame the size pot, but it is you who are to blame if things go wrong. A good commercial grower knows that it is his/her most experienced person who should be holding the hose.

That said, the value of the research work has been in developing mixes that allow us to slack off in our observation of what is going on with the plants, and give us a little slack.

Read your plants, learn how to water and if you only have time to grow six plants properly, don’t try to outdo your neighbour by growing two hundred.

I know, I killed off a bunch of my beloved gingers after switching to a coir-based mix, and not realising what a bear it was to water properly.