To: "Aroid list" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 9:27 PM
Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: potting mix

MJ and Hermine,

I will post my results, but it will take at least one year, if successful, or more if I have to try again. In the meantime we can all benefit from the advice that's flowing back to us now.

MJ, our problem is a very bad one because of the high rot danger. It must be cured!

I didn't know that Fafard would do a custom mix. 5 or 6 cubic yards is a lot to me but it's one scoop to them!

Hermine, I had thought of acquiring a cement mixer to ease the mixing chore, but I didn't want to endure all the dust and I have no place to keep the darned thing. I mix all my cactus soil by hand and sometimes the dust is awful. Can't really wet it if I need it right away because you don't introduce damaged cactus roots to moisture unless you want increased risk of dead plants.

Scott Hyndman said something that alarmed me, that coir rots faster than peat?! If that's really true then a lot of us cactus guys better stop using it. That's our big complaint about peat is the rotting. Coir's been marketed heavily to the cactus world.

MJ Hatfield wrote:
Hi Ken,

Your problem with potting mix is the same as mine, except I grow in the winter year round and my greenhouse is ½ the size of yours. Top 2” dry, bottom wet. Over water more than under water. Rot. Work full time. Water by hand (too much lime and minerals in the water). This has been my worst year ever. Very sad. Please be sure and post what you find out. I need to do something.

MJ Hatfield

Middle of Iowa
Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list