[Aroid-l] Traffic Jams on the Information Superhighway

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Traffic Jams on the Information Superhighway
  • From: Jason Hernandez mossytrail@earthlink.net
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:15:04 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

If you've ever tried to do any research on the Internet, you understand the meaning of my subject line.  It is so crowded, you can't get anywhere.  Take my problem in particular: I am trying to find pictures of certain species of Philodendrons, to compare and match with specimens on the ground for identification purposes.  Websearch using the species names as keywords turns up pages and pages of links, none of which are of any use.  Botanic gardens, universities, etc., keep extensive lists of their collections, but seem to have an aversion to showing pictures.  Nurseries love showing pictures -- of small, market-size specimens in 4" or 6" pots, which does not help me to identify the mature specimen growing halfway up a tree.  I just spent almost two hours sifting through websites making reference to the species I have in mind, and am no closer than I was before I started.

_Exotica_ said 'way back in the 80s that Philodendron imbe, for example, has been a parent of many commercial hybrids -- so why it is so hard to find a decent picture of a mature specimen?

Incidentally, on Abrimaal's site, the Philodendron submitted 15 August 2005 (not by me) looks like one I am trying to identify.  Does anyone have a clue what it is?

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large