Re: [Aroid-l] Let's talk commercial mixes, eh?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Let's talk commercial mixes, eh?
  • From: Susan B honeybunny442@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:55:44 -0800 (PST)

Scott mentioned verminiculte holding water but perlite does too.

  Years ago I had a small plastic bin of perlite, about 9x12 inches (sorry Wilbert) and about 4 inches deep.  In a fit of absentmindedness I poured some water into it instead of a potted plant.  As an experiment, I dumped out as much water as I could and then left it in the summer sun, figuring it would dry since the perlite is so porous.  Well all those little pores held water and that perlite never did dry, it did develop a nice green mold which grew nicely until I threw the entire mess away.
Ever since then I've been leery of mix recipes that call for a lot of perlite to keep the mixture from becoming too moist.