Re: [Aroid-l] Let's talk commercial mixes, eh?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Let's talk commercial mixes, eh?
  • From: Scott Hyndman hyndman@aroid.org
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:58:26 -0500

Good topic and I am sure there will be as many ideas and preferences as to the best growing mix as there are aroid growers. There was research done at the Mid Florida Research and Education Center decades ago on the best potting soil mixes for various foliage plants, many of which are aroids, and as I recall they statistically found that they could grow plants equally well in all of the commercially available mixes at the time and with just straight Canadian peat moss, with the pH amended of course. Some of that research is available at http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/Foliage/Resrpts/ mrec_resrpt_ndx.htm

Anyway, back to the topic: I would not recommend a mix containing either coir (coconut fiber) as it will decompose faster than peat, or composted bark (personal preference; I don't like seeing the saprophytic fungi fruiting on the surface of the decomposing bark). And use as little vermiculite as possible as it does hold water and breaks down over time too. At the USDA research station I work at we use Premier Horticulture's Pro Mix (http://www.premierhort.com/ eProMix/GrowingMixes/fGrowingMixes.htm), primarily for greenhouse grown citrus culture which requires good drainage. For tuberous aroids I like to add additional perlite to that mix by about 30%. By the way, that is not meant to be an official USDA endorsement either. I see that they do make custom mixes too. The Fafard company has some good products; no official endorsement meant there either. Their Mix #2-P looks interesting to me, but you would have to be willing to match you watering regime to the good drainage that mix should provide. I see that they do offer custom mixes as well, and with the volumes of soil you mention you will be using perhaps the price would work out for you.

Keep us all posted on your search for the perfect commercial mix for your growing conditions, and good luck with the results.

Best regards and happy holidays, Scott
Scott Hyndman
Vero Beach, Florida
USDA Hardiness Zone microclimate 10B