Re: [Aroid-l] Let's talk commercial mixes, eh?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Let's talk commercial mixes, eh?
  • From: "Russ" chammer@cfl.rr.com
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:03:15 -0500

Susan, there's actually not much that absorbs water less than perlite, and you should not be afraid to use it.  Perlite does not absorb water, but it does hold it in irregularities of the outer surface.  Vermiculite holds water in the multi-layered body of the granule, MUCH more than perlite.  I suspect that you might not have drained as much water out of that tub as you thought, and the water in the bottom kept wicking slowly
to the top, keeping it damp enough to grow that algae.
Only thing I can think of better than perlite to open a mix up is pumice, which is only available in quantity on the far west coast.  Smooth round styrofoam beads, like I see in some commercial mixes, might be better than perlite if one could find it, but I've never seen it.

Russ
central Fla