Re: [Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contacts

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contacts
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" <mmarcotr@email.smith.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:36:47 -0500

Variegation can be induced with nasty mutagens like Nitrosomethyl urea.
I would not recommend doing so unless you have a compelling reason and
experience using such chemicals. There are a few viruses that cause
variegation but most of them harm the plant and make them useless. The
big exception is some forms of the mallow family Abutilon.
Micropropagation can induce many variations and some of the variegated
forms of plants do come from micropropagation but it appears to be low
frequency so finding them involves a great deal of chance and or large
commercial production where tens of thousands of plants are produced and
grown out. Spontaneous mutations of plastids can occur and are seen in
seedlings on occasion and this is the source of some variegated plants.
So the answer is not simple.

_______________________________

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College, Lyman Conservatory, College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
www.smith.edu/garden
Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness.
~ Kahlil Gibran
>>> "Agoston Janos" <agoston.janos@citromail.hu> 12/21/06 10:39 AM >>>
Dear All,

Can somebody help me with variegated Araceae? Because I do not know how
variegation starts. Are there some viruses or chemicals which can induce
variegation? Can occure variegation by micropropagation? How often?

The second question would be: How to take care of Anubias and
Cryptocoryne. They are sold as aquatic plants, but my Anubias has grown
out from the tank. Do they need a dry period or what? What are the
requirements of Lysichitons. I have allready killed 5 pcs.

Sorry for the many questions, but I still not received the Aroid book,
and thank you for your help in advance!

I have new mail addresses.

agoston.janos@citromail.hu
viraghagymasz@davidnet.hu
contact@hagymarium.hu - not too often checked, but weekly
szaki@hagymarium.hu - - not too often checked, but weekly

And you can call me on skype: skype:viraghagymasz?call

Bye,
Jani, Z5a